Android Undetected tap event when the tap and release is fast (DEF-2024) (SOLVED)

Hello,

I made some test about this, and it happen in Blossom Blast, Hero Slide, and platformer and magic-link demos.

I noticed that i have to tap and release “slow” (pressing and holding) in order to get the buttons click events, and also in gameplay events.

I test it on a Moto G 2g. Later i’ll test on others devices.

Anybody has this issue?

1 Like

In your game.project try to modify the input fields there to be lower. Test and see if that helps?

I suppose that are these settings:

But i don’t think so because i’m not using repeating only the on_input message, anyway i changed the values for 0.001 and the results are the same.

I tried in other Android high end devices and the input delay is reduced but is still a problem.

I think that this is a really bad issue for the player’s UX, sadly i won’t be able to continue with Defold because of this.

How long is “slow”? Like 1 second? (That’s roughly what I associate with “holding”)

Perhaps you have some code to share, to help show this problem?

I put together a quick multi touch example which I think performs well on my android (Motorola XT1072)

1 Like

Hi Mathias,

Thank you for the code example, however is still the same. It’s not so long maybe 100ms.

I make a video to show it, it uses the same project in your multitouch example:

Touch no event video

Best!

1 Like

When comparing it to an iPhone 4S, it does feel snappier than my android. I wonder what the actual input latency is for the screen on your device. Have you tried updating the Settings -> Language & Input -> Pointer Speed to increase the sensitivity?

Does it work better in another app on the same phone? (e.g. in a GameMaker/Unity example)

@Mathias_Westerdahl, there are actually issues with multi touch where sometimes the released action for a touch gets lost. Reported as DEF-2024. I don’t think this is the same as the OP is experiencing though…

1 Like

I checked but it’s actually at max value.

I made a similar test in Unity, and it works well, here is the video for comparison

1 Like

Thanks for the videos @jsebastianvargas, they helped!

After checking a bit more in the logcat of my example, I do indeed see more output (i.e. “V/threaded_app(29117): New input event: type=2”) than is registered in the on_input function. I feel it’s the same issue as @britzl mentioned, adding the issue id to the topic title.

1 Like

It’s great to help. :wink: I hope you found a solution soon, meanwhile i’m going to continue the development and contributing by looking for more issues (as far as i understand, that was the reason for release the engine for free)

Best!,

4 Likes

Fixed in Defold 1.2.100

2 Likes