I am working on my first DEFFOLD Project called "Abandoned Force". Its a remake of my first game I've coded some years ago. Original name was (how creative) "TestObject". It was written in Purebasic. I've never really finished it. It worked, but with couple of bugs.
Abandoned Force (TestObject) is and was a "oldschool-multiplayer-strategy-grid-based-topdown"-game. Maybe some of you know an very old game on AMIGA called M.A.X (Mechanised Assault and Exploration). I loved that game. Never found some fun like that.
In Abandoned Force you'll start with a constructor-unit. With this unit you can build structures like a base, unit-factory, airport, turrets and research-lab to get upgrades and new technology etc. All these are working and uses simple energy with refules automatically. Other units are tanks, rocket-launcher, emp-launcher, buggy, collector etc. Collectors - like the name says, are collecting resources like iron, gold or artefacts. all needed to build units and structures. The maps are random. Its a stategy game so its on the player which stategy he'll use: rush at the beginning, "castleing" and building a hard to beat base or / and researching for upgrades or new stuff. the goal is to defeat the other player(s). maybe there will be singleplayer with AI.
Why in DEFOLD? Lot of devs go and use the "famous" unity3d. I've also tried it out. But it seemed to be not the right one for 2d games. I know there are TONS of unity games - also 2d. But if I play them, it seems unity dont really support 2d. The games are lagging etc. So I decided to use DEFOLD. I hope it will fast and stable enough After some starting problems with lua and DEFOLD I am on the run to make it.
Its in an early state actually. Some units are done and working also as building structures. Item spawn is working in early state etc.
Of cause a lot to do. Hope to get to a playable state. If the main things are working the multiplayer part will be the next goal. On Testobject the main game was playable after 1,5 month. Another 2 month for network and optimizations I quess in this new engine and language it will need a bit more o.O
Here is a quick screenshot